As things have expanded, I’m looking to hire a Mentern (Mentee & Intern) in the San Francisco bay area or Los Angeles for my growing gangster-rap greeting card business while I travel to Asia and Australia to write a book on food and art. Basically I am looking for someone like me a few years ago: a creative, smart, motivated individual who doesn’t want to settle for anything less than the most awesome life they can imagine. For me, that meant quitting my dismal 9-5 life that society promotes and carving out my own place in the world, to be able to pursue a passionate existence. I’d like to offer my knowledge and expertise to someone interested in pursuing their dreams in return for help running my online shop and as an assistant organizing my projects. Not only will you learn tricks of the trade “on the job” from managing the shop & tasks below for an average of 5 hours per week, I will chat with you weekly for an hour & provide 1-on-1 coaching to help you reach (or figure out) your dreams and start making money with your own business or at your dream job. I want this to be a mutually beneficial partnership, where we both grow & succeed.
What you will work on:
- Fulfill orders
- Correspond with customers
- Create content for the mailing list
- Research physical stores to stock cards in
- Update the facebook fan page (jokes, sales, etc) & website
- Browse Etsy for cool items, think of creative themes & create Treasuries around them
- Read & contact art/design/gadget blogs, magazines, & newspapers for features
- Research & contact chefs & artists to interview for the aforementioned book
- Copy write & create etsy listings
- Update Flickr
- Write blog content
- Update website
- Maintain flexible: I will have different and varied projects for you.
- Your home, or wherever you are. I know you don’t need a watchdog. Best case scenario, you’ll live in SF, Oakland, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, or Los Angeles, as I intend to work in print studios in those areas and it would make giving you the prints easy. Also, if it interested you (hopefully), you could come with me to the studio and see how I work.
- Reliable, timely, and excited to use your own creativity. I will give you tasks, but for much of it, I want you to get to exercise your unique skills & innovation.
- Desire to make a positive impact in your life & the lives of those around you.
- 100% honest, all the time. I will be with you, and you will be with me even when it gets awkward. That’s the only way we can make progress and learn from eachother. As they say, the truth will set you free 😉
- People person (good on the phone, in writing, and not scared to say what you mean)
- Bonus points but not necessary: knowledge of Etsy, graphic design, wordpress, photography, printmaking/letterpress, blogging, SEO, facebook fan pages, twitter, art world, html etc.
This is an ideal Menternship for you if you are interested in most of the following, as I kick ass at and can help you with:
- Defining & pursuing your ideal life
- Supporting yourself through art, design, creativity
- Graphic design, fine art, illustration, bookmaking, printmaking, photography
- Running an etsy shop for yourself
- Living and working on your own terms (avoiding the 9-5 to create your own path & enjoy life, or finding & landing your dream job)
- Starting, running, or building your own business
- Making money from a passion
- Learning about entrepreneurship, freelancing, marketing, and advertising
- Building a network of supportive people
- Learning about printmaking, letterpress, paper
- Traveling while still making money from your business
- The “4 hour workweek” lifestyle introduced by Tim Ferriss
- Minimalism, a “less is more” lifestyle (have less things, but more experiences)
- Reaching your full potential/living as your best self
If this sounds like you:
- Please check out my creative endeavors here, my earlier blogposts, and my about page to see if you’d like to work with me.
- Email me without hesitation at firstname.lastname@example.org a paragraph or two telling me about yourself and why we would be a good working match. Attach a resume just so I know what you’ve been up to, but know that I’m choosing based on business compatibility and how much I think we can benefit one another, not what brands you’ve worked with.
Thanks & looking forward to hearing from you,